Wide Open Eats is a growing online community of home cooks and homemakers that focuses on everything from how-to hacks in the kitchen and garden, to the publication of original recipe content. We’re looking for a Staff Writer to work directly with our Managing Editor to rapidly grow the presence of Wide Open Eats. The Staff Writer will be a self-starter devoted to publishing timely and breaking news and lifestyle stories. This role will be dedicated to increasing our presence as a thought leader for the Heartland cooking community. This is a fully remote position of 20 hours per week, from 8AM CT to 1PM CT daily.
This is a contract-to-hire position with substantial potential for growth for the right person. Pay for the position is hourly and will be discussed in greater detail during the interview process.
- At least 2 years of fast-paced web writing experience for web publishers
- At least 1 year of hands-on SEO writing experience
- Knowledge of/experience with WordPress
- Strong understanding of quality and engaging content with a focus on the Heartland audience
- Ability to consistently source, conceptualize and pitch new article ideas
- Ability to pend articles completely in a highly timely manner
- Editorial experience in a web writing environment
- Previous experience writing on food and lifestyle topics is a HUGE plus, but not required
- Previous writing experience in a strong research and analytical role
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, links to writing samples, and a short statement telling us why you’d make the perfect Wide Open Eats Staff Writer.