Jessica Reed, the U.S. Features editor at The Guardian (theguardian.com), has posted an updated editorial wishlist and is encouraging freelance writers to pitch her article ideas for 2017. She is currently developing a lineup of skilled reporters and writers for possible assignments and wants to receive pitches for feature articles on the following topics:
- Masculinity. She wants both spectacular essay writing and traditional feature writing on this topic.
- Militias and white nationalist movements (in the south especially).
- Religion and politics: the Trump Years as seen by evangelical and other religiously conservative communities.
- Portraits. Profiles of people and groups engaged in protests and counter-protesting, plus feature articles on activist work.
- The war on drugs.
- Essays exploring the rural vs urban divide.
- Stories about social mobility.
- Weird/remarkable/intriguing groups of people, characters, individuals.
- Other topics are invited.
Jessica also wants to commission freelance writers who report from communities outside of New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
Compensation: discussed individually with qualified writers.