POP seeks Freelance Journalists to assist in the creation of stories for a variety of our clients in the retail, gaming, and technical spaces. While industry-specific skills may sometimes be valuable, more value will be placed on your ability to conduct research, interview subject matter experts, grasp new and sometimes esoteric topics and craft emotional stories. Experience working with consumer-facing magazines, newspapers, or media companies is also a plus.
While we do not have an immediate need, projects often arise suddenly and we are hoping to build relationships with a number of writers to whom we might turn in the very near future.
What You’ll Do
- Work with a Managing Editor or Creative Director to develop story ideas, or to write already-conceived stories
- Interview subject matter experts, as necessary, to develop authentic stories that use facts, quotes, and data to educate our audience
- Write up to three stories per week (approx. length 500 words) and incorporate client and internal feedback into story revisions
- Optimize stories after publication at the direction of our Managing Editor or Creative Director to ensure ever-increasing story performance (reads, shares, likes, etc.)
What We’re Looking For
- You possess a thorough understanding of omni-channel communications (social, web, mobile, print, digital)
- You are able to write in a variety of tones, on a variety of subjects, within a variety of tactics (news, blogs, ebooks, video, social, whitepapers, etc) and have experience interviewing people in a wide range of circumstances
- You have ten writing samples that have appeared in magazines or well-known Web sites, and that writing is irresistible
- You write in a human voice that appeals to human beings. Even you’re writing about ping pong balls would make me sit up, pay attention, laugh, cry, or maybe even buy one