Mathematica Policy Research is seeking a freelance editor with at least 8 years of experience to join our editorial team in Washington, DC. Mathematica analyzes public policy and programs in the following areas: health care, child care, education, nutrition, disability, and labor. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the data collection and analysis that we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations.
Responsibilities include editing reports, proposals, issue briefs, and articles for scholarly journals. There is a mix of copyediting and substantive editing.
- Strong editorial skills, including the ability to translate jargon and technical language into everyday language
- Strong diplomatic skills, including the ability to query authors tactfully and constructively
- Proficiency in MS Word; excperience in PowerPoint is a plus
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style; knowledge of APA style is a plus
- Accustomed to working under tight deadlines
- Willingness to work on weekends