Mathematica Policy Research, a nationally recognized research firm, is seeking a freelance editor with at least 8 years of experience to join our editorial team in Washington, DC. Mathematica analyzes public policy and programs in the following areas: health care, education, nutrition, early childhood, disability, and labor. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the data collection and analysis that we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations.
Responsibilities include editing reports, proposals, issue briefs, and articles for scholarly journals. There is a mix of copyediting and substantive editing.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or communications
- At least 8 years of editorial experience at a government contractor or agency, a newspaper, or a publishing company; experience editing government proposals and/or publications that focus on medicine, economics, or science is a plus
- Strong editorial skills, including the ability to translate jargon and technical language into everyday language
- Strong diplomatic skills, including the ability to query authors tactfully and constructively
- Proficiency in MS Word; experience in PowerPoint is a plus
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style; knowledge of APA style is a plus
- Accustomed to working under tight deadlines
- Willingness to work on weekends
This position is a freelance position, so the amount of work will vary.