Manning Publications is seeking copy editors and proofreaders who have a long and successful record of editing and proofing book-length manuscripts. We pride ourselves on the fact that Manning books are carefully developed and edited. Our authors are experts in their respective fields – many of them are also very good writers – but most of them need professional assistance in streamlining their texts and making them as clear and accessible as possible. That’s where you come in! If you are detail-oriented and would enjoy working for a company that sets very high standards of excellence, this job may be for you.
This is a freelance, remote position.
- Read, review, and edit manuscripts for accuracy in grammar and content.
- Edit copy to improve clarity and ensure content accessibility for the target audience.
- Verify terms, sources, and URLs using standard reference resources.
- Manage communication, schedule, and processing of edits and rounds of proof with author and project manager.
- Expertise with standard editorial concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Basic familiarity with technical and computer terms.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
- Ability to work with internal style guides and to create project-specific stylesheets as the project requires.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to communicate well with team members and authors.
- Ability to work on tight schedules. Our books are time-sensitive and often require a rush schedule.
- 3–5 years of prior editorial experience in a technical environment.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4–8 years of professional work experience, preferably for a book publisher.
- Superior organization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, yet be self-directed and proactive.
- Experience editing in MS Word required; experience editing in new authoring tools such as AsciiDoc, Markdown, and XML preferred, but not required as long as you have the willingness to learn.