Manning Publications Co., a leading publisher of computer books, is looking for Freelance Developmental Editors to work directly with book authors in order to produce top-notch manuscripts on schedule.
This position is best suited for editors who can masterfully recognize and verbalize weak points in a manuscript’s coherency and writing, embrace a coaching/mentoring role with authors, interact diplomatically with authors, and meet deadlines.
- Candidates must have strong knowledge of software principles and technologies.
- Educate authors on methods to convey complicated or vital concepts in their manuscript.
- Determine ways for authors to strengthen organization, presentation, understanding, and the importance to the book’s designated reader.
- Regularly evaluate manuscript content at a high level.
- Oversee the book-development process so that authors finish their manuscripts by deadlines.
- Make sure manuscripts stick to Manning’s writing guidelines.
- Offer project status and content reviews to editorial staff.
(This position does not require copy editing duties)
Developmental Editors can work remotely from home. The is part-time work, averaging 15-20 hours weekly.
Compensation: discussed with qualified applicants.