Learfield Data is seeking a qualified journalist to write morning state news summaries for our newswire service. If you like writing news and getting up early, this is the job for you. This position also oversees the editing and posting of content from outside sources, provides customer assistance when necessary and produces feature content for company related websites.
The position is primarily responsible for (but is not be limited to) writing 3 news and 2 sports summaries for Wisconsin each morning (M-F). The position also writes summaries for Iowa, Minnesota or Missouri as needed. All summary content is written for radio broadcast. Additional writing/editing duties are required as assigned.
The normal workday begins around 2:45am and ends around 11am. This is a full-time “work from home” position. So, you won’t have to shower before your day begins but you will have to be sharp. The day is scheduled pretty tightly and there are always curve balls. We need someone who is highly organized, can think on their feet and writes quickly.
*A summary contains at least 5 news stories of at least 35 seconds in length (approximately 5 lines).
- Applicants should have at least 2 years experience writing news/sports and a degree in Journalism (or equivalent experience).
- A general understanding of Wisconsin politics, history and culture is preferred.
- We need someone who is highly organized, writes fast, pays attention to details and is able to find workarounds to problems quickly.
- This position also requires someone who can work effectively without daily supervision.
- A background in radio or television news/sports would be helpful but not necessary.