Kaplan MCAT is hiring talented, collaborative item writers to write and edit passages and questions in its MCAT test prep programs. In our quest to prepare our students for the MCAT, a large volume of high-quality items is essential. MCAT item writers will work with the MCAT product team — and a team of other item writers — to write new questions and to participate in regular item-performance reviews of current questions.
Detail-orientedness, subject-matter expertise in one or more of the MCAT sciences (biology, biochemistry, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology, sociology), and the communication skills necessary to work in a fast-paced, remotely-located team are a must.
Experience writing or editing standardized-test items (especially for the MCAT or MCAT-like exams) is also a distinguishing qualification, but not strictly necessary for those willing to train up.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant science area; Advanced degree preferred
- Distinctly strong attention to detail
- Dependable and clear communicator
- Strong descriptive writing skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and communicate progress regularly
- Knowledge and comfort with modern web collaboration tools (e.g., Google Docs, Hangouts/Skype, GChat/Slack)
- Ability to respond to training and feedback from peers and managers
- Education/instructional background preferred
- MCAT experience, ideally through proven high MCAT score, preferred