Freelance Writers with an academic or teaching background are needed to write for Shmoop.com (est. 2009), a digital publishing company of educational course guides and test prep materials. The company has several open project-based positions to develop subject-specific curriculums for high school students.
Freelance writers are tasked with developing compelling curriculum, syllabi, and teaching materials on specific subjects of study. Popular subjects include: World History, Math, Art, Multimedia Design, Computer Science, Technology, Physics, and many more.
- Composing brain-stimulating lessons–including discourses, activities, and quizzes–for online dissemination.
- Introducing and distilling new knowledge and skills to help students succeed in a career.
- Putting together practical teacher guides to supplement your curriculum.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the subject area or comparable experience creating instructional content on the subject.
- Experience with writing for non-scholarly audiences and the competency to articulate concepts in a fascinating and friendly way.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and teaching skills.
Although Shmoop is headquartered in Mountain View, California, freelance writers can work remotely from home.
Compensation: paid per project. The pay rate is based on the type of project, experience of the writer, and time commitment.