Crooked Marquee, a movie website that publishes amusing insights and unique perspectives of the industry, is inviting U.S.-based freelance writers to contribute the following:
- Opinion and analysis of: 1. movie trends; 2. a current film; or 3. current news in the industry.
- Actor or director retrospectives/appreciations/deconstructions.
- Discussions of older films now relevant today for some reason.
- Personal essays related to movies.
- Articles pegged as creative, satirical, or in some way uncanny.
The site publishes 5-6 pieces weekly. Writers are encouraged to browse the site’s archives to acquaint themselves with what readers enjoy reading and the type of topics that interest the editors.
Past articles have included:
- Gorilla Warfare: How War for the Planet of the Apes Mirrors U.S. History
- The Pitch Meeting for The Mummy
- A Memo from the Umbrella Corporation
- 13 Actors Who Did Better As Screenwriters
- The Injuries of Indiana Jones, Cataloged
- How the Rocky Films Got Me Through a Liver Transplant
Payment: starts at $50 per piece.
Eric D. Snider serves as Editor.Write for Crooked Marquee
To pitch an article, first read Crooked Marquee’s writer’s guidelines.