We’re looking for a copy editor who cannot only edit the em dash out of our copy but can also teach the craft of storytelling and copywriting to our other writers.
In addition to copyediting, you may be asked to (gasp) write copy of your own–for clients and/or for us. But before you get too excited, our requirements may rule you out.
Here’s some requirements:
You must be available between 10 am and 4 pm Pacific time M-TH. This is when we do business, meet with each other and clients, and get work done.
- To be clear, you’re a contractor in control of your own schedule, so if 3-5 am is your zone of genius, good on ya. But the rest of us expect to be able to regularly reach you and schedule meetings with you during our work hours, as needed.
- You’ll need to be perfectly comfortable working only 5-10 hours per week indefinitely.
- You must have first-rate grammar skills and be able to prove it by passing our grueling grammar exam (verbal and written) under a scorching bare lightbulb.
- You’ll need to turn around copy editing assignments in 24 hours (M-TH), even if you get 5 or 6 in the same day.
- We want you to not only practice your copy editing craft, but teach it as well so our writers become better writers. You should shed tears of joy when one of your pupils wins the Pulitzer.