Common Ground Research Networks is seeking to hire freelance editors to edit journal articles as needed.
The duties of this position include:
- Correcting spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors in the full article, abstract, and author biographies
- Revising articles for clarity, readability, logic, awkward word choice, and phrasing
- Checking and correcting typos and formatting inconsistencies
- Confirming the use of British or American English
- Changing references to confirm proper use of the sixteenth edition of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Checking that in-text citations are included in the reference list
- Indicating if a citation in the reference list does not appear in-text
- Verifying the correct year of in-text citations to the corresponding references
- Verifying the correct/consistent spelling of names for in-text citations and the corresponding references
- Returning an article in fourteen to twenty-one business days
Interested applicants must be proficient in the notes and bibliography and author-date citation systems of the Chicago Manual of Style. Applicants must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet projected deadlines. Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English or a related field and with previous editing experience. Applicants should be prepared to take a proofreading test that covers grammar and knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style. Common Ground is also interested in hiring freelance editors to edit book manuscripts as needed.