Crain’s is looking for talented, motivated editors who know their communities and business beats. Candidates should be media-savvy, voracious consumers of media and can work early morning hours in a fast-paced, continually evolving environment. This position will be based out of Portland.
A history of writing both original copy and curated material is a must. Editors must be able to adapt to our concise, insightful, funny but never snarky editorial voice and have proficiency in crafting messages on social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Our ideal candidate enjoys uncovering newsworthy stories on business and national beats from websites, social media and other publicly available sources of data.
- Writing detailed copy across a variety of beats with efficiency
- Drupal, WordPress or similar content management systems
- Tagging taxonomy
- Closely collaborating with editors, web developers, graphic designers
- Generating excitement for new products and being an enthusiastic brand ambassador
- Executing social media strategy
- Working independently, within a team and collaborating with management
- Creating and sharing new, creative ideas and best practices
- Setting an editorial calendar, to anticipate trends and upcoming events/anniversaries/etc.
- Sending breaking news alerts and working quickly, as emergencies happen
- Writing high-value headlines and using SEO
- Maintaining relationships with content partners and local contacts