Cognella, an academic publisher of higher education course materials, is recruiting Freelance Manuscript Formatters for its Cognella Academic Publishing imprint.
Assignments consist of formatting, organizing, general editing, and use of Microsoft Word styles. Extra formatting tasks may be required on the scope of the project.
Cognella receives full manuscripts and shorter assignments for academic textbooks throughout the year. Workload peaks in March, July, September, and December.
- Apply uniform text formatting wherever it is needed: this includes inserting glyphs, italicizing and bolding text, and applying the appropriate character and paragraph styles.
- Create and apply styles for all local formatting in manuscript.
- Standardize formatting treatment for repeating elements, including quotations, bulleted lists, and emphasis.
- Treat special elements (headings, lists, tables, and charts) consistently.
- Tag special elements, such as figures and sidebars, with insertion place markers.
- Ensure proper sequencing (such as alphabetical or numerical order) in lists and other
- Check specific cross-references and note first references to figures, tables, and other display elements.
- Must have Microsoft Word 2013 or later.
- Strong communication skills (written and
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word.
- Fast and efficient, with proven project/time management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English grammar.
Freelancers will work from home.
Compensation: submit your freelance rates or compensation history.