CarTech, Inc., a leading publisher of how-to automotive titles for the hardcore enthusiast, is looking for freelance acquisitions editors. This position will be responsible for the acquisition and preparation of manuscripts for publication based on the company’s subject area and growth goals.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Identify and qualify potential authors for titles ideas supplied by the Editorial Director
- Monitor the development of manuscripts and work with authors to maintain schedules. Maintain a standard of fewer than 325 days between contracting and manuscript acceptance.
- Evaluate author outlines, sample chapters, photos, and manuscripts at various stages throughout the writing process. Accept or return with specific instructions on what needs to be fixed or changed.
- Work with Editorial Director to determine appropriate cover image and negotiate with author to ensure correct image is provided.
- Determine if finished manuscript and photos are acceptable or if they need more work. Negotiate changes and additions with authors.
- Perform content/developmental edits and photos edits.
- Present finished manuscript and photos to managing editorial department in complete and correct form.
- Review edits and layouts. Work with author on changes.