Freelance Work Avalon Travel is Looking for Freelance Copy Editors to Edit Guidebooks
Avalon Travel (est. 1973), a leading publisher of independent travel guides, routinely hires Freelance Copy Editors to edit and proof book-length manuscripts and help the editors develop high-grade guidebooks.
The company oversees a handful of notable imprints: Rick Steves, Moon (including Moon Handbooks, Moon MapGuides, Moon Outdoors, Road Trip USA), The Dog Lover’s Companion, etc. Each imprint concentrates on a different travel theme and geographical location.
Freelance copy editors collaborate with Avalon’s internal editorial team to support an unprecedented benchmark of writing and correctness in grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling, and style.
Copy editors work from home. The staff sends assignments digitally as Microsoft Word files. Freelancers use MS-Word’s Track Changes feature to enter corrections and notes.
- A minimum of 2 years of expert experience copyediting book-length manuscripts; editorial credentials in travel reference books is desired.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary.
- Fluent in Microsoft Word and familiar with Track Changes.
- Capable of handling jobs with firm agendas.
- Knowledge of international languages, particularly Spanish, French, Italian, or German, is a bonus.
- Because travel books involve timeliness, deadlines must be met.
Payment: starts at $20/hour and increases accordingly.